Grand Theatre

Go Back

33 Church St, Blackpool, Lancashire, FY1 1HT T: 01253 290111

Grand Theatre in Lytham St Annes

Grand Theatre, Lytham St Annes

The Grand Theatre was designed by the famous Victorian theatre architect Frank Matcham and was opened in 1894 after a construction period of about nine months. The project was conceived and financed by local theatre manager Thomas Sergenson who had been using the site of the Grand for several years to stage a circus. Sergenson's successful directorship of the theatre ended in 1909 when he sold the operation to the Blackpool Tower Company for a considerable profit.

The success of the Grand Theatre continued through the First World War and on until the 1930s. The theatre now faced stiff competition from the newly introduced talking movies and the building was operated as a cinema outside the tourist season (ie, during the winter). This practice continued until 1938 when the nearby Opera House was constructed.