North Pier

Go Back

North Pier, Promenade, Blackpool, Lancashire, FY1 1NE T: 01253 621452

North Pier in Lytham St Annes

North Pier, Lytham St Annes

The pier's name derives from the fact that it is the northernmost of the piers and perhaps because it is close to Blackpool North railway station - it is actually located only about 400 metres to the north of Blackpool Tower which roughly represent Blackpool's midline. The sea front is particularly straight and flat and so the pier's 500-metre length simply extends at right angles to the coastline, more or less level with the promenade.

North Pier was officially opened on 21 May 1863 with a grand ceremony attended by over 20,000 visitors. It was the second of the fourteen piers designed by Eugenius Birch (the first being Margate Pier), and is now the oldest of the few remaining examples of his work still in use. It was also the first of Birch's piers to be built by engineering firm Richard Laidlaw and Son of Glasgow.