The Haymarket



The Haymarket

The Haymarket building has a long and varied history, starting in 1865 as the Corn Exchange.

Since then, it has been a roller skating rink, cinema, variety house, after being demolished by a fire the building became a cinema again.

In 1951 it was renamed the Haymarket Theatre where amateur companies would use used the building (including the Basingstoke Symphony Orchestra, Basingstoke Choral Society, BATS and BAOS – all of which still use the theatre today)

In 2007 the theatre was closed and the Council asked The Anvil Trust to take over the lease. The theatre went though a refurbishment program of the box office, bars and foyers and the building re-opened as The Haymarket.